cPanel & WHM® is a suite of tools built for Linux OS that gives you the ability to automate web hosting tasks via a simple graphical user interface. By buying a cPanel license and using cPanel & WHM®, you will be able avoid all the complexity of creating advanced server configurations and comes equipped with automatic updates, built-in backups, and all the tools you’ll need to get up and running. Its goal — to make managing servers easier for you and managing websites easier for your customers.
Create and automate
Streamline tedious server management tasks while empowering your customers to administer every facet of their website using simple, point-and-click software.
- Automate everything
- Automate upgrades, downgrades, SSL deployment, and any of your billing needs to cut down on your overhead. Or, use the cPanel & WHM API to create custom scripts and programs to do any additional heavy lifting for you.
- Manage and control features
- The cPanel license allows to access cPanel & WHM® system, thus opening up a path of unlimited possibilities! Choose from hundreds of features either baked into cPanel, or available as third-party add-ons, to create unique packages for your users to choose from.
- MultiPHP management
- Allow any PHP version on your servers, domains, or accounts and manage them all seamlessly through the MultiPHP Manager.
For your customer
- User manager
- Generate sub-user accounts for individuals in a company or an organization and grant full or limited access to Webmail, FTP, databases, or Web Disk.
- Control domains
- Manage multiple domains on a single cPanel account, with addon, parked, and subdomains, allowing your users to easily manage more than one site on your server.
- Mail, calendars, and contacts
- After acquiring a cPanel license and by starting to explore cPanel & WHM® possbibilities, you will be able to create accounts, forwarders, and autoresponders as well as account-level filtering in Webmail and utilize calendars and contacts for personal and business needs.
- Develop and store MySQL and PostgreSQL databases and exercise full administrative control over the sub-user accounts that can access the information.
Protect and secure
Safeguard your machine as well as your customers from a range of attacks and system failures.
- Transfers and backups
- Automatically backup all data and create a seamless experience when transferring information between cPanel-installed servers.
- Analytics and server monitoring
- Know what is going on with your server at any time of the day and glean more insights on the things affecting your machine with server monitoring tools.
- Prevent malicious software from trying to muscle through your password security with cPHulk, a brute force defense system that protects your users, your accounts, and your machine.
- Encrypt outbound messages and reinforce the way your machines downloads and uploads information to and from servers with GnuPG signed updates.
- Limit spam from infiltrating your mail server with Greylisting, a tool that temporarily rejects unrecognized senders.
For your customer
- Secure every endpoint on a server with a domain-validated (DV) SSL certificate in less than a minute.
- Backup Wizard
- Never fear losing information if you have a cPanel license and the access to cPanel & WHM®. With Backup Wizard, site owners can edit and restore files, folders, and websites, partially or entirely, and monitor disk space usage.
Customize and grow
Optimize the revenue generating capacity of your servers and grant your customers the opportunity to grow.
- Third-Party plugins
- Offer a tailored experience to your target audience by incorporating third-party applications or plugins to your service. There are hundreds to choose from.
- Transfer tool
- Easily transfer in new clients and customers with our cPanel to cPanel migration tool which can copy multiple accounts from a remote machine to your cPanel & WHM server.
- White-label software
- After the purchase of a cPanel license, cPanel & WHM® will let you customize the look and style of cPanel, Webmail, and select notifications to give your customers full access to an industry standard control panel with the unique feel of your own brand.
For your customer
- Take advantage of third-party software for blogs, bulletin boards, eCommerce, and more to build a robust, dynamic site.
- Content management systems
- Choose from a range of content management systems like Joomla and WordPress or use cPanel’s Site Publisher, a simple, quick HTML website that is indexed by Google.
Hosting with cPanel & WHM at-a-glance
|Features||No control panel|
|Ready to use out of box||Manual Installation & Configuration|
|Easy to adjust Apache, PHP settings||Manual Compiling|
|Automatic updates||Some Coverage|
|Built in DNS and private nameservers||Manual Installation & Configuration|
|180+ Features to toggle On/Off|
|Enhanced server security|
|One-Click WordPress install|
|Automatic free SSL certificate for all Domains|
|API + SDK|
|Account and server migrations|
|Fully supported & documented|
|300+ Addons to extend functionality|
Questions & answers
What is cPanel?
It is a Linux-based web hosting control panel that provides a graphical user interface (GUI) for hosts. Having a cPanel license grants access to useful features that ease website and server administration & maintenance, minimizing the need for in-depth technical knowledge. It utilizes a 3-tier structure beneficial for administrators, resellers, and end-user website owners.
Because of the intuitive interface, various automation tools, API-based and third-party software access, application-based support, and compatibility with many Linux distributions, this software is now one of the most popular control panels used for hosting.
What is WHM?
Also known as Web Host Manager, it is a server management interface that is part of the cPanel & WHM software suite. WHM grants administrative access to the backend of cPanel and the ability to create and manage multiple websites. With this, users can easily monitor their servers, manage backups and security, create, delete, or suspend cPanel accounts, access DNS zones, and more.
When combined, cPanel & WHM become a versatile control panel with useful features for both simple website tasks and larger, server-wide maintenance work.
Why is cPanel used?
It is used for many reasons. The most popular ones are because this software offers:
- A simple GUI. Without a control panel, you have to execute everything on the server through a command line. cPanel users only have to have minimal knowledge of website and server management as everything can be done with a few buttons on a simple web browser interface.
- Easier website maintenance and domain management. With a cPanel license, users are permitted to install additional applications, add-ons, extensions, and software that automate repetitive server tasks and allows them to quickly create and customize webpages. Such features as Zone Editor, Site Publisher, Aliases, Redirects, and Subdomains make domain creation and handling tasks quick & easy.
- Improved security. It boosts website and server protection with such integrated tools as IP Blocker, Leech protection, two-factor authentication.
- Great file management. You can upload, create, remove, and edit various files through the file manager without the need for third-party applications or FTP.
- Database management. It also allows users to create and interact with their databases with such tools as phpMyAdmin or phpPgAdmin and has MySQL and PostgreSQL Database Wizard interfaces for handling large amounts of data.
- Helpful email functions. Users can make their email experience easier by using such integrated tools as forwarders, email routing, autoresponders, mailing lists, filters, greylisting, address importers, calendars & contacts, archives, and even encryption.
- Metric tracking. The cPanel license also grants access to metric tools that allow you to track everything happening on your website and server: traffic, visitor behaviour, bandwidth usage, errors.
What is the difference between cPanel and Plesk?
Both are popular web hosting control panels. While they do offer similar features, there are some core differences:
- Distribution compatibility. Plesk is available for Windows, Linux, and 14 Linux distributions, including RedHat Enterprise, Ubuntu, CentOS, and Debian. cPanel is only available for Linux OS.
- Interface. Plesk is streamlined for first-time users and groups features in a list on the left side of the window offering a tidier interface. cPanel does not group similar tools & features but it allows you to customize the home screen.
- Extensibility. Plesk already comes installed with various extensions for server management, improved security measures, website creation, etc., and there are a lot of additional third-party add-ons to choose from. With cPanel, users can download extra apps via auto-installers through the app store, which is carefully managed and verified by official support.
What is the difference between cPanel and DirectAdmin?
The core differences between the two are:
- Distribution compatibility. While both run exclusively on Linux OS, DirectAdmin operates only on RedHat Enterprise, Debian, CentOS, and FreeBSD, while cPanel officially supports RedHat Enterprise, CentOS, and CloudLinux.
- Interface. DirectAdmin groups features into 4 main categories and has a simpler design. cPanel offers direct access to all the tools & features, and users can customize the interface.
- Extensibility. DirectAdmin offers add-ons and plugins but from there is a limited amount to choose from. cPanel has an app store with pre-approved apps and custom code options for extended functionality.
What is the difference between cPanel and WordPress?
cPanel is a web hosting control panel used for website and server management. With the cPanel license, users can set up domains, email accounts, install databases, manage files, and perform other system administration tasks. It is considered to be a server configuration & automation tool.
WordPress is an open-source content management system (CMS). To put it simply, it is a database used to create websites, blogs, portfolio webpages, and more. It is considered to be a self-hosted blogging tool that is usually installed on control panels, such as cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin, etc., for easier website creation and maintenance.
Can I use cPanel on Windows?
cPanel was built only for the Linux environment and doesn’t support any Windows OS and its distributions. Although more experienced users use backdoor methods to run this software on Windows servers, for convenience’s sake it is generally advised to use alternative control panels, like Plesk.
Is cPanel free to use?
No, it is not free. Users have to purchase a cPanel license to use this program and all the features on it. However, those that are interested in getting cPanel & WHM can take a virtual tour and try the free trial version on cPanel’s official website or install our trial version OS template.
Can I use cPanel without a license?
You can install it on your server, but you won’t be able to use it. The license grants access to the interface and all the features and tools on the control panel.
How can I pay for a cPanel license?
As with our other services, you can pay with PayPal, credit card, Alipay, or cryptocurrency.
How to activate the license?
It will be automatically activated after you purchase it. That is why during checkout you have to provide your VPS IP address.
What happens when the license expires?
Your website and services will continue running as planned, you will just be locked out of the cPanel interface. You won’t be able to use the program to manage server tasks or upgrade such systems like Apache, PHP, etc.
Do I need a cPanel license for every website hosted on VPS?
No, a single license covers all the websites hosted on a single server.
Can I activate it on more than one server?
You can transfer the license to a different IP address on the same server. If you want to license a separate, additional server, you have to get another separate license.
How to install cPanel & WHM?
It is pretty straightforward. Just follow these instructions:
- Log in to the client area;
- Select “Services” > “My Services” at the top menu;
- In the service list select “VPS” and click “View details”;
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, select “VPS control panel” and click “Install OS”;
- Choose “cPanel & WHM + CentOS 7 (64-bit)”.
After 5-10 minutes the program will be installed. The template includes: CentOS 7, Apache 2.4.33, PHP 5.6.36, MySQL 5.6.38.
For manual installation, run the following command on your server:
cd /home && curl -o latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest && sh latest
How to access cPanel & WHM?
After you purchase the cPanel license, it is activated and the programs installed, you can access these interfaces via:
- cPanel – https://your_server_IP:2083
- WHM – https://your_server_IP:2087
Can I manage multiple domains through one account?
Yes, you can. You can do so with addon domains. You can add them through the “Addon Domains” interface that can be found in “Home” > “Domains” > “Addon Domains”. Before you create more, your account must have a main domain. To keep track of the additional ones, add them outside of our “public_html” directory.
How to update the cPanel License Key / run license script?
When you upgrade from a trial license or switch IP addresses, you need to update your license. To do so, run the following command on your server:
Where can I find more information?
Our support team is glad to help you 24/7 via chat or ticketing system.